All signs, in particular words, including names of persons, images, letters, numbers, sounds, three-dimensional designs including the shape of a product or its packaging and colors and color compositions, which are suitable to differentiate goods or services of a company from those of other companies, can be protected as trademarks.
As do all other property rights, trademarks are only valid for the territory for which they were applied for. A trademark registered with the German Patent and Trademark Office (GPTO) only has legal protection for the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany. If a more comprehensive protection is required, an EU Community Trademark can be filed with the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM) or an International trademark can be filed at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
Our services in the field of trademarks are as follows:
- Preparing, filing and prosecuting German, European and International trademark registrations (DE trademark; CT trademark; Int. trademark) as well as trademark registrations outside of Europe
- National and international trademark searches
- Representation in opposition proceedings and appeal proceedings before GPTO or the German Federal Patent Court (BPatG) in Munich and the OHIM (Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market) in Alicante, Spain
- Trademark licenses
- Advice in response to trademark conflicts and trademarkrelated contracts (franchise; license agreement for trademarks)
- Trademark development and trademark strategies
- Trademark infringement